Google analytics

Saturday 6 January 2007

I must be mad!!!

Ok, before I describe today's ride here's the stats:
ride time 2 hours 36 mins
miles 37.4
Ave speed 15.7 mph
Max speed 36 mph
Ave Cadence 79
Max cadence 121
Ave h/r 157 bpm
max h/r 176 bpm
kcal 2555

My god, the weather!! I was wet through after 10 minutes of riding, the strong headwinds and strong crosswinds did not let up. After 2 hours it stopped raining and the temperature dropped. I had to wait at a level crossing for a train for 5 minutes, muscles seized up inspite of being well fuelled. I had to stop for 10 minutes to get some blood moving in my left foot. Soaked through my overshoes and socks and was very cold, couldn't feel my toes!
As you can see from ave heart rate it was a damn hard ride, a lot of climbing, but I must say my fitness level is strong. Unfortunately when I was waiting at the second level crossing I heard a bang, I looked down and when I went to set off, yes you guessed it, puncture!! A biggy, my tyre had been ripped open! Luckily I was by the station and the train was 20 minutes. Phoned my missus and she picked me up after a short train ride.
On a positive note I felt I could have gone on another hour, and got to near 60 miles as the ride back from where I punctured is a false flat with a tailwind for about 15 miles. Legs strong, but man, that was hard today.
Velodrome tomorrow!!! Can't wait. Also will get in a gentle run in the afternoon, and possibly a gentle recovery ride on trainer for an hour.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you take anything positive from what sounds like an horrendous ride - good job you could contact your wife for a lift.

Steve Birtwistle said...

It's good to be positive even if I did feel deflated about the ride last night. Was thinking it was a slow ride. But all down to conditions and if I was to ride at that intesity in the summer then my times will improve massively. So that's the main positive, knowing that I got the fitness to go for that intesity for that length of time and will only get better.
Was rather cold though when I got home.
Velodrome more than made up for it today!

Powered By Blogger