Google analytics

Tuesday 30 January 2007

Tuesday morning swim

After a good day of rest I was back in the pool. warm up with a few gentle lengths.
400m - hard effort
400m - easy effort
400m - medium.
then cool down.
That was enough this morning. 30 seconds rest between each.
Trying to build up some strength. But, my swimming is so slow. I know it's all down to technique. I just want to be able to get near 30 minutes for the Half Ironman UK swim which is 1900m. I can do 1500 in 30 minutes now, and I know a wetsuit will shave some time off and by then I will have been swimming much more, and will be in better swim shape, and hopefully my technique will have improved. The closer I can get to that time then it will save a load of effort on the bike. My goal time for the race is 5 hr 30 minutes. 30 minute swim. 3 hour bike and 2 hour run. That is the maximum time. I am hoping to get near 5 hours. Shave 15 minutes off the bike, and 10 - 15 minutes on the run. Any time off the swim(even a few seconds!) will be a bonus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The swim for the actual Ironman I understand is in open water- surely this will be more difficult than in the pool- and slower surely - especially if you are in the midst of a number of other competitors - getting out of the water in a resonable time must be a bonus.

Steve Birtwistle said...

Not at all, quicker than in the pool, due to not having to turn, and wetsuit keeps you more bouyant in the water, helping you stroke cleaner - no sinking.
Also, the swim is set off in waves so not everyone fighting and swimming over one another. And you can draft legally as well. Get behind a good swimmer and use their drag to save enrgy and help pull you along.

Powered By Blogger