Google analytics

Wednesday 19 November 2008

Florida - Week to go before Ironman 70.3 Worlds

Well, here goes my pre-race report, to be followed by race report and no surprise my post-race report!
The flight was a good one, and we touched down in a balmy Florida feeling full of energy and laden with huger bike bag strapped to my back, while I went a sorted out our hire car. It was an enormous 8 seater thing, and plenty of room for luggage. After a long car ride, and many twists and turns and getting lost several times, we rolled up to our hotel in Indian Rocks Beach. Really great suite, set over 2 floors, separating sleeping and living accommodation. So had a reasonable night's sleep but woke early Sunday and went out to find traditional American breakfast food. Copius amounts of coffee and mega calories, Frebnch Toast and maple syrup, oatmeal, fruit and pancakes! Wonderful!
I got my bike together later in the day and all had come through the flight safely and I wnet out for a 30 mile spin. My knee was fine. Really positive ride, and was able to put the pedal down a bit more. So far so good. Next day, another 1 hour ride and still good. I followed this on the Tuesday with a 4 mile run. Crap!!!! Knee just didn't want to play and was sore within minutes, even after warm up and stretch. Back to square one, and once I'd registered on the Wednesday I booked myself in for a sports massage on the Thursday which really did help. On the Wednesday I thought sod it, and I took off to ride the bike course. I got lost en route, but ended up doing 60 miles at a reasonable tempo inspite of a sore knee. I just felt I needed some miles in my legs, as I was just not going to run. At this stage, finishing the race was still in some doubt. So the next 2 days just consisted of rest and beach time, and eating nice food! Come race day I was just going to be relaxed, and just get in there and see what happened as the day unfolded.....

No comments:

Powered By Blogger