Google analytics

Monday 31 October 2011

Sandy Balls Duathlon

Good morning!
And a good morning it was yesterday. I have to say this was one of the best races I have had, and I really enjoyed it.
Rocked up at 6:30am with James Gilfillan, who was marshalling and having a rest from triathlon and duathlon this season. He was kind enough to give me a lift over there to the campsite. Registration was nice and relaxed and there was a good atmosphere around. Weather was dull and grey, a little windy and very light drizzle in the air. Bike racked and a gentle warm up and I felt pretty good.
So to the race. The start is in the middle of Sandy Balls caravan park and from there after a few hundred yards it drops down very steeply and with a sharp left onto a wide stony trail. I took the first mile fairly easy as I am still so very cautious of my ankle, even though it was 10 months since my injury. The we hit an uphill that slows you down considerably. Well, slowed me down a lot anyway! I was probably around 15th place as we came back up to the campsite and out on the road, where I felt a lot more comfortable and managed to pick up the pace a little. The turnaround loop was another steep off-road section, only short but very steep! Then back onto road and down to the site for a smart change onto bike and out onto a fast course.
The first run was hilly enough for me to really feel it ion the calves as I haven't done any concerted hill running all year. So the bike leg really felt like hard work most the way round. The wind was not a lot of help and a bit in your face on the way back. However, not much of a problem. What was worse was the driving drizzle into my eyes which stung like crazy. I do not like riding without glasses but really had no choice. I made up a lot of ground on the bike and hit T2 up in about 4th place, 2 athletes that I had just passed on the bike came in shortly behind. I was out quick onto run and bang, the cramp kicked in my calves, but I just gritted teeth and after 500 yards or so they eased off, having been passed by one runner. By the 2nd km I was passed on an uphill by Chris Roxburgh from Total Fitness Bath. Hit the road and I managed to hang on about 20 yards back but couldn't quite push it enough to get back on level terms. I held that position until the end and finished it off well. Felt really strong at the end, and was delighted with how it all went. Especially pleased with my running, it's improving lots at the moment. Also, all the strength work is paying off.
I finished 6th overall and won the Vets race! Great morning's work. Lee Piercy won the overall race, by a country mile or 2, 7 minutes ahead of 2nd place. He's back to form and is going into the Ballbuster duathlon in 2 weeks' time in good shape.
Thanks to Richard and Jo Iles for hosting another great event. And well done to Sarah Smith, from Team Forest Fit who completed her first duathlon. Many more to come from her! Results are out on the Race New Forest website.


No comments:

Powered By Blogger