Google analytics

Sunday 19 April 2009

Winchester Triathlon 2009 race report

Well done to everyone who turned out to race, marshall and spectate! Really good atmosphere for this race, even though a lack of cheering at the end! Congratulations to Dave Woodgate and Tracey Cook who came away with the wins. Steve Birtwistle - Winchester Tri 2009 And special mention to Freddy Devos who won the 20-24 age group, of Zoom tri club. Unfortunately a the presentation afterwards they hadn't got the 20-24 age group prize sorted out! But great to see Fred making excellent progress and performing well.

Well, the sun was out at last and the weather was lovely. Well, it would have been if the bloody wind had died down. My god, the out leg of the bike was a toughie anyway, but the headwind that blew up around 5 miles got stronger, and towards the turnaround I felt like I wasn't going anywhere!!
Anyway, big turnout for this conceptsport FastTwitch triathlon, 400m pool swim, 19 mile bike and 5 mile run. I was in the 9:30 wave. One of the benefits of my improved swimming is that I get to go off in a later wave, which means more time in bed the night before!! The waves go off based on predicted times, the slower swimmers in the early waves and so on. As I haven't done a pool based tri for a year, I was a bit unsure of swim time, so I guessed at 6:20 ish, and got out roughly on schedule, although not seen my splits yet. Had a good transition, no mishaps apart from dropping my glasses, and got into my riding, only to find my legs were still back in transition( or the swimming pool!) Took about 3 miles to get loose and then ok, until the wind picked up!! The turnaround was a hop off your bike, walk across the dual carriageway to the other side and get back on your bike! Safety thing after last year's accident in the same spot. Legs deserted me momentarily but got going again, a downhill thankfully and a tailwind. Nothing quite like getting over 40mph on two wheels!! Great fun! And I was pretty quick back into T2, swift change to running shoes and then mile and a half of uphill! Always gets me and got me again today, just find that first mile really takes it out of me, and no time to get into your running. Got to hit it straight away over the shorter distance runs. I found my rhythmn after 2 miles and was striding out nicely, but by that time, race is nearly over and it's the final push for the line and did find the last incline a bit of a tester on the legs.

Steve Birtwistle - Winchester Tri 2009In the end, had a solid race, and thoroughly enjoyable, my first one of the season and coming in a block of hard training, with a very snotty nose and sinuses a little bunged up. But on the whole, extremely pleased how it all went. Up on last years' time by a few minutes and managed to sneak an age group win, finishing 12th overall!! Good day a the office. And even better, Man City won 4-2!! And Robhino scored his first goal of 2009! Yessssss!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger