Google analytics

Tuesday 24 April 2007

Lunchtime run


After a full day of rest and, at last, a decent night's sleep, almost 10 hours!
Felt re-freshed. Time to get back out on my legs.
1 hour and 7 minutes for just over 8 miles. Was an easy-paced run today, was more about running time rather than breaking records! Felt good, no real problems. Was steady and gets me back into the groove, maintaining aerobic fitness level.
My running plan for the next 5 weeks is 2 mid/long runs a week of 8-10 miles and 1 short run of about 3-4 miles. That's it. No need for me to go the full 13 miles distance in training. And I'm not looking to improve on my speed, just merely to strengthen my endurance. My short run, however, will serve to keep me at a decent pace.
So for the rest of the week, it's a swim wed, thurs, fri. Bike to work thurs and fri, which will only be about turning my legs over, and a run on thurs. Saturday will just consist of a very gentle bike ride of about 50 minutes and a very gentle run of 20 minutes.

Oh, and my new wheels have arrived at Bikelab!!! Look at them up there on the right!! Lovely!!
Just waiting for the tubular tyres to arrive and then I'll take in the Plasma and get them fitted!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear legs are recovered - still sounds like heavy programme for the week - Shouldnt Saturday be a rest day? I'm sure it's hard to resist the temptation to 'do a bit' but you'll probably find out on Sunday whether or not you should have.
Is there any special reason for the new wheels - you said in an earlier comment how much you liked the last ones.

Steve Birtwistle said...

It's not at all heavy. I'm not really preparing for this race, as I'm using it as an extended training session, so there's no real need to taper as such, but I'm just having a lighter week.
No, it's not hard to resist temptation to do a bit. Saturday is about keeping me fresh and ready for a bigger effort on Sunday.
As for the wheels, yes the Krysium wheels are good on my Scott S30, but they're not for time trialling, they're too slow. They're very good for general all-round riding. The Easton's are extremely lightweight carbon wheels and are tubular, which can be inflated to higher PSI which in turn means less rolling resistance, and they will be a lot quicker. The Real Design wheels I have on there at the moment are a lot heavier. For the courses I will be riding, I need as light a wheels as possible, particularly for Half Ironman. These Easton's will help reduce my bike splits and also will conserve energy, less vibration, and transfer the power and forward momentum a lot more efficiently.
Thereby keeping me fresher for the run legs.

Powered By Blogger