Google analytics

Sunday 22 April 2007

Tidworth 'Fast Twitch' Triathlon

400m swim, 15 miles bike, 4.5 mile run.

Well, today was hard. I was a little jaded, even after a reasonable pre-race night's sleep. Got there nice and early to get organised. Changed into tri-suit and got marked up and went for a 15 minute ride along part of the bike course, looked ok, good road. Back into transition to set my stuff out. Rummaging through my bag I panicked, where's my race belt! I am always well organised, and check and triple check everything, I knew it was there, but I must have forgotten it. Striaght to the stall where tri gear on sale. Yes they had a race belt, £5. Paid my money, opened it up, and what was the next thing I saw in my kit bag...... yep, my race belt. Typical! Not a good start! Anyway, panic over, I got set and then ambled over to the swim.

I just wasn't focussed enough on the swim, and didn't really put as much effort in as I could have. That said, my time was 7 mins 57 secs, so no major problems, slow and steady, my target time was 8 mins. Getting out was hard as the raised diving start blocks were built into the end of the pool and all along it, so it was a long way to climb out, which everyone struggled with!
Then into T1 for what was a reasonably quick transition. I was 8th out of the pool in my wave, and 2nd onto the bike. But alas, one elastic band which holds my shoes in place did not snap, so I had to slow down after setting off to snap it free with my fingers. So not a great start to the bike leg. And after a steady climb in the first 10 minutes, my legs felt dead! No life in them at all. Really quite sore when I tried to put the pedal down, and that continued for a good 25 minutes. It was until the last almost 30 minutes had gone by until I started feeling my legs were working as they should. That said, I did 39 minutes approx for the bike leg, averaging just over 21 mph, which was reasonably ok. But again, could have gone much quicker were it not for tired legs.

So into T2, quick this time straight out onto the run. And boy I really felt my legs hurting by this stage, and I was tired. And this was no easy run either, very hilly. A long slow climb for the first mile, which really sapped my strength, then downhill for the next mile, steady for another mile, then hit another long slow climb, and then downhill to the end. By this time the sun had really come out(it was around 10am when I finished, and I was glad I was finishing when I did. Still managed to finish ok, with a spring in my step. And to be honest, I felt reasonably ok after the race. And now 10 hours later, I feel fresh and well recovered, and my legs don't feel too bad.

Times were ok, nothing special, although, yet again, very good bike time. Run was a little disappointing, but would have been better with fresher legs. This race was done on the back of two long training weeks, so I'm not too concerned with the result. Just pleased to get another race under my belt. More experience to take with me on my journey!
Overall, finished 52nd in over 200 racers. I was 16th quickest on the bike of those that finished. There were a few DNF and DQs. All in all another good race, if a little disappointing time-wise. But I put it down to experience and will consider it a damn good training session!!

Nutrition was a bit hit and miss today, did not have a lot. Some electrolyte drink, 250 ml energy drink on the bike, 1 PowerBar gel towards the end of the run.1 PowerBar gel before the swim.

Finishing time - 1 hour 23 minutes 16 seconds.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a lot of lessons to be learnt from this race - but you finished quite well overall. Hope you ensure you get some good recovery time in before you take on another - you know now that the distance is ok so far and are getting better - but organisation will always vary (swim section difficulty) and I suppose times improve mostly when everything goes according to plan. Take the time to enjoy it - the good times are a bonus!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you came through well - sounds as though you were a bit tired - however keep up the good work but dont overtrain- June 17 isnt far away.

Steve Birtwistle said...

I'm having a very easy week this week. I'm dropping a race on the 13th May. I have 5 weeks of training and 2 weeks tapering before Half Ironman UK. I have 3 races in that 5 weeks, and I won't be going hard on them, just using them as extended training sessions. Focus in the next 5 weeks will be on the run and swim, as I know my bike is strong.
I really won't overtrain, because I am determined to be at my freshest for June 17th! I'm enjoying the racing immensely but what I did notice is that it's not so much fun when I'm sore!

Powered By Blogger