Google analytics

Sunday 15 April 2007

Saturday in the sun!

At last, some warm cycling weather!
Out I went , all fuelled up and plenty of liquid for a 94.1km loop, which I have done before. See previous post from January for the route, Blandford, Dorchester, Weymouth, Wareham loop.
Well, I got as far as Weymouth feeling strong and began the climb out of Weymouth towards Wareham, and bang, Everything felt tired. I had only a bit of energy drink left and a fruit bar. Had the fruit bar, most of which broke off and fell on the floor, and the rest of the drink, just not enough. I bonked big time. Just didn't take enough nutrition with me and I think I was not hydrated enough from the day before. For the last 10 miles I couldn't get my heart rate above 120 bpm, that's how tired I was feeling.
That said, stats for the whole ride were not too bad:
time - 3 hours and 4 minutes
distance 94.1km(58.5 miles)
Ave hr 144 bpm
Ave speed 30.6 kph (19 mph)

On the whole a reasonable ride, but I hate feeling like I don't want to be cycling, which is what I felt with 10 miles to go. I just wanted to climb off and go home, especially when there were a load of time triallists flying past me in the opposite direction. And I wouldn't actually have been that bad if I wasn't pedalling the last 15 miles into a headwind!
But I recovered well, had lots of fluids and my legs felt ok. Good rest in the evening and had lots of good food, back to normal.
Nutrition
2 x 750 ml SIS Electrolyte. 1 x 750 ml SIS Energy. I SIS Go bar, 2 Power Bar gels. I nutrigrain bar, bit of a fruit bar. This was on a warm day, 23 degrees and bright sunshine in middle of day.
I had less nutrition than on the same ride in January - see post for comparison.
Still I know for next time.

Note to self - Look back over records regularly, especially to see what nutrition has been used.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger