Google analytics

Sunday 29 April 2007

Lymington Triathlon

400m swim, 27km bike, 7km run.

Approx time 1 hour 25 mins.

What a lovely day to be racing. Well, it would be if it wasn't at stupid o'clock in the morning!!! Left home at 4:45am and arrived at Lymington around 5:30am, and there were loads of people around at that time! That said, it was a good race , a lot of fun, good atmosphere and friendly people.
My swim time was 7am. So for an hour before I got myself sorted. Registered and marked up, then spent 25 minutes on the turbo trainer( I took it with me this time, and what a difference, really got me properly warmed up) . Set up in transition which was find yourself a spot on the racks. I like to get near to where transition goes in rather than near to transition out. It's a mental thing! The quicker I can get to my bike the better I feel.
So off we went on the swim, rather strange set-up. 4 lanes, 2 lengths in each then get out at the end and walk back to lane 1 and do it all again!! But I posted a quick time considering, quickest swim so far for 400m.
I was quick through T1 and on the bike, but then, yet again, problems getting my right foot in my shoe on the bike! Left foot great, straight in and sorted, right one, I couldn't get hold of the heel tab to hold it level and slide my foot in. I was fiddling with it for what seemed like ages and I lost any momentum through T1. Eventually after I had been passed by a fellow racer I got sorted and tried to settle down, but the first section was all twists and turns round a residential estate. Two problems here, my confidence since my bike accident has given me a knock and I'm not attacking the bends as I should and two, new wheels added to the uncertainty, even though I tried them out yesterday. A lot of bends on the next section of the bike course and road surface not the best, and my legs were tired again. Not sure what that is about, but it's taking me a good 20 minutes now on the bike leg for my legs to move easily and not be tired. They felt dead for the first 20 minutes, which was when I really needed them most to get up a good head of speed, as it was an uphill section, albeit very very gentle, but just enough to notice a difference, with a slight headwind. So I was slower than I wanted to be and did not feel great. But, the second half of the course I flew, the legs woke up and the new wheels did their stuff! Magic, incredibly quick and smooth. But again, at the end of long straights I was very slow into the turns and wasted lots of momentum and energy. Was held up by marshall at a junction for oncoming traffic which didn't help.
Eventually hit T2 and got into run shoes pretty sharpish. (note to self here: resist temptation to pick up and have a swig from bottle on bike!) I had a 2 gels on me, had one out of T2 with some water, and I set off at a good pace on the run, which I held together for most of it, felt tired around 3 miles but then picked it up for the last mile and a half. I finished very strong with a spring in my step, and felt like doing more.
All in all another successful race. I left it knowing I had more to give, and could push harder. I know my bike handling needs to come back, but hopefully that will come in time. My swimming is definitely improving and I was a lot stronger on the run today. The most positive thing is the underlying knowledge that I am good for going the Half Ironman distance. I know I can go hard on the bike for 3 hours and get off it and run. I know I can do the distance on the swim. The main key for me will be getting my nutrition right. I got it pretty much spot on today, and the main difference was that I was better hydrated. More water consumption yesterday, carbo loaded better, had 3 PowerBar gels today, 1 bottle of water and 1 bottle of energy drink. That was plenty and to be honest I could have gone without the energy drink, or left out a gel. But the water I will need more as we get into the warmer months.
For feelgood factor, today was the best race of the season so far. Not necessarily my best performance, a little disappointed to not go faster on the bike, but my focus for the race was on the run this time, and it worked.

Race results to be posted in a couple of days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Another good race. It is interesting to read your account and fascinating to see how every race is very different. Even though you are very well prepared there is always a new challenge on every course - plus your own little hiccups. As I have said before - on the day everything works - BINGO!!!
Lets hope it's June 17th.

Powered By Blogger