Google analytics

Sunday 21 February 2010

Rollercoaster

I just keep thinking of that Chilli Pepper's song that was used on the Beavis and Butthead film a few years back! Great cover of an old track by R&B legends The Ohio Players. I know it's called Love Rollercoaster, but it's kind of what triathlon training is like! Well, mine anyway!
So, Boscombe 5k went well, felt good and strong. Come Saturday morning, I got my race bike together and fitted wheels on and drinks sorted etc, ready for a 30 minute warm up followed by 2 hours at 70.3 race pace. And within 5 minutes I knew I was gonna be fried. Just not on it at all. It was bitterly cold out, riding slow was cold coz my body wasn't generating enough heat, and riding quick was cold because of the air temperature! Couldn't win. Gritted my teeth and pushed on. I covered 46 miles in the two hours and 8 miles in the warm up. Got back home with no feeling in my left foot and proceeded to set off on a 40 minute run. As many that have expereinced the off the bike running sensation will know, it's hard enough as it is, but with no feeling in one of your feet, things can get a little strange. The run was actually ok in the end, as it was just an easy one off the bike, so felt reasonably comfortable.
But later in the day as tiredness kicked in, boy oh boy did I feel rubbish! Mentally frazzled! Roth was off, I wasn't going to do this long distance stuff any more and I just had no time for anything or anyone!
I woke up this morning feeling tired and snotty still, but mentally a bit better. But I am not going to ride my bike outdoors today, I am absolutely sick to death of this cold weather! Big training sessions I can handle and it's all making me stronger, but the cold weather really takes it out of you and recovery time is much longer. A week in a Meditarranean training camp would be ideal about now!!! I wish!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger