Google analytics

Thursday 21 June 2007

Ironman UK 70.3




Well, I did it! I crossed the line in 6 hours, 19 minutes and 40 seconds. What a race, what a fantastic experience, incredible. Great fun, brilliant atmosphere and very well organised.

After my swim, which was very good, apart from swimming a good 400m more than I had to, I decided to just take it easy all the way round. I just could not get 'up for it' even though I was in really good physical condition and had loads of energy. Mentally I was just not there, and couldn't drive myself on. I had plenty in the legs on the bike, but just did not have it on the day. That said, it was a tough course, and by the 2nd lap of the run my legs were starting to tire and on lap 3 on came the cramp! 100 yards from the finish, my legs seized up and I hobbled towards the line, only able to run the last 10 yards!
But what a thrill to finish. Just all feels a bit empty now. But I am looking forward to the next race - Bournemouth International and will be putting in a solid performance in that one, just to make up for this one.
Results can be found at http://half.ironmanuk.com
I finished in the top half. Well done to James Gilfillan who came 2nd, on his first time at this distance, what a fantastic result. And well done to Kevin Harding, a fellow triathlete from Southampton Tri Club who I have been beating in a few shorter tris this year, and who had a storming race at Wimbleball and finished in the top 150! I'll be getting him back later this season!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger