Google analytics

Sunday 3 June 2007

Mixed feelings on where I am today

Last day of full-on hard training today, before I taper down and rest my body and get it right for 17th June.
Well, it started really well with a lovely swim in the sea at Swanage. Water temperature was just right. Unfortunately since I bought my wetsuit my body has changed shape. My chest/back is slightly wider(because of the swimming) and my suit is a little tight across the chest, and felt a bit restrictive. Not major problem, but enough for me to notice. I did roughly 1600m in around 30 minutes. Good time, and I do like swimming in a wetsuit. The buoyancy is fantastic and it lets me relax and really concentrate on stroking well with good body rotation. I ran out onto the beach, which I did find hard work, and tried to get out of my wetsuit quick. I will practice this a couple of times before I race, need to do it, get sat down and slide off, pull the legs off - not my legs!! But when I race I will take my time and not rush, want to save energy for the bike leg.
I had loaded my Plasma up with 3 x 750 ml bottles - 2 electrolyte and 1 water and a load of PowerBar gels. And off I wet, out of Swanage for a 3 mile slow climb up through Langton Matravers and over to Corfe. And here was the first downer of the day. My legs were dead. I feel good everywhere else, heartrate is down, breathing good, feel strong. But boy my legs have taken a punding this week!! So I slipped into an easier gear and felt my way up the climb and over. Once into Corfe I actually picked up a lot and was setting a good pace all the way into Poole and down to Sandbanks, feeling strong. Did 30 mile ride. But the last 3 miles were just idling around Poole Park, staying loose for the 10k which started at 2pm.
So to the run. Before that I caught up with top triathlete James Gilfillan, who was running today. He went over to Wimbleball Lake yesterday to ride the bike course. He did 3 laps. (We only have to do 2!) BUt he put my mind at ease and said it wasn't as hard as people made out. Sure, he said there are a couple of really tough climbs, but mostly it's all up and down, with no flats!! But that's ok, as I'm used to riding a lot over the Purbecks, so I was quite happy with that. He did say he would get some brake gear shifters as a lot of up and down you need to be on the ball with gear changes. Tri bar end shifters not ideal. So my mind is made up on choice of bike. Tis a shame but the Plasma is staying at home and the S30 will be my steed for the day! Well, hopefully for only 3 hours max. On a positive note about the bike, I rode a cyclosportive last year over the South Downs, 95km, and that was all up and down, with some very tough climbs. I did 3 hours 29 for that. That was with 2 stops for checkpoints and a couple of stops for chain and nature! Also I am loads fitter now and stronger over the hills, so I am confident of going well below that time, and cracking 3 hours.
So back to the run, today!! My god, I was tired before I started! And it was hot! I was looking for 45 minutes, and ended up 48' 52". And to be honest I am pretty pleased with just finishinig it. I did very nearly drop out after 5 k! I had enough, and my legs just would not respond when I tried to go faster, very frustrating. Also I had to go for a pee again! Note to self - do not drink so much before the run. I will have to try some bars instead of gels. I think the gels are going right through me! At least my bowels were ok, although I did feel sick after stopping to pee and setting off again!!! And I got annoyed with some bloke behind who shouted at me to keep going when we were approaching an aid station for drinks. It got me wound up and I put my foot down for a couple of hundred yards! Bad move, legs tired even more! But I got round. I stuck it out. I don't like warm weather, and to be honest I haven't trained in a lot of it. And there's a lot of me, as I have put weight on these last few weeks. However, it's not fat, t's all muscle. Racing and going hard and recovering well, ahas made me very strong but I have gained muscle. I'm leaner, but it's the fat that's gone! And as muscle weighs more than fat, I think it's affected my running, and I did feel a bit heavier on my feet today. But all in all, I got through it, 8 minute mile pace. If I can keep that up for Half Ironman then I'll be please. The run will be around 10 in the morning and not like today's 2pm time, which was at the warmest part of the day.
Generally, a good day, with it's share of crap bits! But I'm ready for a bit of a rest now, and I will be focussed 100% on nothing else but 17th June. I didn't feel good about it after today's run, but slowly I'm coming round to thinking that if I can stick it out when I feel bad then that's what I'm going to need a lot of come the run on 17th June.
Bring it on!!!!! GGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks as though you have gone into yesterdays 'tri' off the back of some hard training Friday and Saturday and probably felt the effects. I'm sure you realise this and will now adjust your next 13 days to allow you to feel as fresh as possible for the big day.

Look after your body and your mind and keep focused - you can do it !

Steve Birtwistle said...

Thanks for your support!
It sure was a hard day yesterday, but thinking about it, it was quite a positive one. 1 mile swim and 30 mile bike followed by 6 mile run. That's just about half the distance of Half Ironman, and if I can do that on very tired body and sore legs then come 17th I'll be ok.
I needed some hard training last week, and I think it will have paid off, as my body will recover well over the next few days as I take it very easy now on the run-in.
I'm already mentally getting myself prepared and I'm really focussed on doing well.
I plan to be in the best shape of my life for this one, and I am in no mood for doing any hard sessions now, that would be very silly.

Powered By Blogger