Google analytics

Sunday 28 June 2009

It's all about the bike

Well, that's what it's felt like this week!!! Lots of riding, legs have been in good shape and my body has repsonded well. Been back in the pool as well and getting back my feel for the water.
After 70 miles and a lot of hills yesterday, and an afternoon sea swim, this morning I rode 12 miles out to the other side of Wimborne to take on the Summer Sizzler. If I am totally honest I was not all that convinced about doing this race, but coach Harry thought it would be a good idea to get out and blow the cobwebs away.
Well it went ok in the end. I raced hard and bagged 3rd place. Were it not for being placed in a slow swim wave in an 18m pool and having to dodge, duck, dip, dive and dodge the breaststrokers, I would have been out much quicker and may well have nabbed the win. 30 secs would have been enough. But c'est la vie, never one to complain. I had noone to race against really so in to time trial mode on the bike, and felt good, apart from trashed legs! Still maintained reasonable leg speed and got into transition without any hiccups. Onto the run I felt a little jaded but held it together, until the last hill and then my trashed legs felt a little more trashed!! Slowed a bit, picked it up to finish and was pleased with how the morning went.
James Gilfillan met me down there and we hung around, watched most finish, and then headed off for a 'spin'!! Well, 20 odd miles later and I was home, totally spent!! Rode at a good tempo and gave my legs a further workout! Recovering well, and off for a snooze before much needed tea!!!
All in all good to be back and returning to somewhere near race form. Just my running legs need sharpening up, but that's ok, I have 5 weeks to Antwerp and I am confident of running strong by then.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger