Google analytics

Monday 24 November 2008

Clearwater Race Report 2008

steve birtwistle

Well, after having some time to reflect and ponder what I have achieved so far, I have decided to just put down a few words about the race and just let it go, not linger on it and put it behind me as experience.
First off, I loved the course. The swim was lovely, calm and warm and out onto a nice soft white sand beach. Well organised clean transition. Fast and flat bike but with enough in it to break it up a bit. Run was pretty flat, apart from the long bridge which was telling come last time, and it went into a residential area that was well shaded from any wind, but not from the sun!! Baking!

So race day was going well up until the point before the swim start I needed to run to the loo, and my bloody knee started to ache! Crap! Oh well, long day in prospect. Swim went ok, nothing too hectic, managed to stay on course a bit better and came out in about 34 minutes. Nothing special, but I felt ok and got through T1 very quick and onto bike. I tried to push hard the first 5 miles, but nothing in my legs and I was about a gear down and 5 rpm low on cadence, so I settled into a rythmn and the miles ticked by steady. Picked up water at the 3 aid stations and cruised the last 10 miles, trying to stretch off as much as possible, but knew that my run legs would not be anywhere to be found. 2 hr 22 mins later and I rolled into T2, and sat on the chair after collecting my chnage bag and pondered. Do I try and run or not? Well I had gone so far and so stretched off, went to the loo and took my time in there. Off I went. and no pace!!! Just nothing there, couldn't get my legs going and my knee was pretty sore by this time. So I settled into a gentle jog and thought, what the hell, at least get a finishers medal!
The run was hot and long, but I stuck it out, did not stop or walk, had no cramp and legs held out, even though nothing in em. Finished with a broad smile and just thought to myself, what an achievement, I've finished a World Championship race!!!!! Medal and hat to prove it! Wqas lovely to have all the family there, my wife Tracey, two boys and my parents, all sporting Team Birtwistle t-shirts!!! The best race I have taken part in, and yet probably my worst performance!! Loved it! And the rest of the holiday was fab! Sea World is just awesome! I highly recommend it to anyone!
So I am now resting and off to see the sports physician on Wednesday to get a proper diagnosis on my knee. And would you believe it, no sooner had I booked the appointment my knee is feeling so much better! Rode to and from work today and swam at lunch, completely pain free. A little ache this morning but it was so bloody cold!
I am determined to qualify again for Clearwater and make sure I get there fully fit and at the top of my game. I have a performance in me and I know that armed with renewed confidence, hard training and my new coach(more on this later!) I will be pushing myself to the limit!! Bring on 2009!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger