Google analytics

Saturday 10 July 2010

All about the bike

Watched my first bit of Le Tour yesterday! Great stage racing and another excellent win for Mark Cavendish. Regardless of whatever come sout of his mouth, he is one talented sprinter and without a doubt the quickest man in the Peloton and will be for years to come. Great stuff for Britain to have an elite athlete like this and I only wish he was getting more exposure and the sport would become more high profile in the UK. I don't know why on earth we are like this in Britain. That's why I am really looking forward to Roth next week. 500,000 fans and supporters at a triathlon race. 30,000 people lining a 1km climb! Brilliantly organised race( well, it is Germany after all!) and it just looks like an awesome place to be for a triathlon.
I had a ride out with coach Harry on Thursday and we had a chat about approaching the race. This is my first attempt at long distance and a bit of a journey into the unknown, and we discussed two main approaches. I either go at it very conservative and within myself and just get round, or I have a good go, do what I do well and push as hard as i can and if the wheels come off, just suck it up, laugh and enjoy myself, knowing that I have given it a good go and I know what to do for next time. The conclusion was the latter. This is what I have been training for for the last 12 months, the last 18 months. The focus of everything has been to get strong for long distance. The training is in place, it's time to put my body on the line and just go for it.
This last week has been a weird one. The tapering effect is in full effect!! Ridden easy, sea swum, run easy, tired and feeling rubbish and body stiff and aching. It's slowly wearing off, after yesterday's hour in the sea at Swanage. Wetsuit repair is a good one, very pleased with the guys at Dorset Diving Services.
So 8 days to go til the race start. Run this morning, bike later today. Early bike tomorrow and easy 20 minute run and sea swim. Monday as a rest I think and then some short efforts Tuesday and Wednesday. Fly out Thursday, register and practice swim Friday. Rack bike on Saturday, then back to hotel for sleep! Up at 2am race morning and breakfast, race start at 6:20am. I can feel the nerves already!!!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger