Google analytics

Monday 15 October 2007

Avon Tyrrell Short Duathlon

Was not at all in the best shape for this race. On the back of a chest infection and then a cold. Had 2 weeks of very little biking and no running, except a very short 25 minute run last week.
Been swimming though, so aerobically not too bad, but I wasn't really up for it.
Lovely setting at Avon Tyrrell Outward Bound camp in the New FOrest and thee were a lot of competitors out. Duathlons don't normally attract big fields as they are a little tougher than triathlons, especially on the legs as the swim is replaced with a run leg to start.
Warmed up for 25 minutes on my turbo trainer and then stretching and 10 minutes jogging. We all assembled at the start and were off at 8:30am. GOt myself up at the front, but everyone went off at a hell of a quick pace. Managed to hang in and after the steep hill at the end of the first 5k lap I was back in 24th spot, which I was very pleased with. Quick through T1 and onto bike and powered my way through the field to get into the top 10, but I was not going quick enough and I knew that if I didn't go faster I wouldn't be able to challenge the top 5. I got off my bike in contentiopn for a top 10 finish but got a nasty attack of the cramps in my calves and was forced to slow down and then stop and strectch them off, which lost me time and momentum. Got going again, and managed to hang on to 18th place. Vey pleased with the result, in view of my lack of preparation and recovering from injury as well. Leg held up well and IT band is not at all sore today, which is great news going into winter training.
Well done to Lee Piercy, who finished first. He's off to the long distance World Duathlon Championships next week, and hopefully he will be coming back with at least a bronze medal. Go Lee!!
Here are the results:
http://www.tri247.com/results_3758.html

No photos of this one. But if Will Newbery is reading this at all, then please destroy the ones you took of me running up that hill, I was not looking my best!!!
Rest day today and then back to swimming tomorrow. Will get back to running later in the week, have a long bike at the weekend, and start bike training proper at the end of the month.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger