Google analytics

Wednesday 20 May 2009

Stop thinking!

Well, I've been getting in plenty of pool time but my times have been off the mark. Maybe a bit of tiredness, maybe it's the cold I've had, maybe I'm just not swimming well. But to be honest, the problem is I am thinking about it too much!!!!
Just get in the pool and swim the set and get out and be done with it! I have got back to worrying about my stroke mechanics too much, and not just relaxing and focussing on swimming hard. I just need to grab hold of the water and work with it. I'm fighting it too much.
So tomorrow morning, I'm going to swi mhard and just not even bother thinking about what my arms, legs, stomach, lats, back, feet are doing! They all get in the way!

On a more positive note, had a storming 2 hour tempo ride this evening, over loads of hills! Legs were hurting by the end, but still pushing a high gear, UK 70.3 in 3 weeks, so far so good me thinks!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

How did the no thinking swim go??

I used to do a lot of fairly serious competitive swimming and I can really relate to your too much thinking. I really think you can think too much and eveything just seems to go wrong.

I read an excellent book some years ago called The Inner Game of Music I think it is written by Barry Green and there are other's in the same "series" I know there is An Inner Game of Tennis, but not sure what the others are. I really found these two books a fascinating read and were essentially telling you not to think too much and too not beat yourself up about things that waste time and are negative.

I am sure you can apply the ethos of these books to any sport or pretty much any aspect of your life. Might be worth a read if you can find the time.

(Hope this doesn't make me sound like a bit of a hippy....I'm really not!!)

Nikki xxx

Steve Birtwistle said...

Hi Nikki

What a difference a day does make. I've just gone back to basics and picked one aspect of my swimming and focussed on that alone. Just a better feel for things. My coach told me to not worry about times and just swim. Results will come, I just put my trust in him, do the work, stay positive and hopefully stay fit!
Yes, I know the book. Many years ago I did a CTABRSM course in Manchester and the book was on the reading list. I'll have to dig it out from the attic, gathering dust somewhere.
Swimming is the worst for thinking too much. I have to try and get in my bike mindset, I just get on it and ride, I never think about anything. I think you have to immerse yourself in what you are doing and just let yourself go. Same with music, just let the music speak for itself and go with it, always a better perfomrance. You can always hear the difference between people who are 'trying' to play and those that just play. You know what I mean!! I teel ya, I am a hippy!!
Hope you're well and the weather is nice in Huddersfield. I'm looking forward to a big bank holiday training weekend, sea swimming, off-road running and lots of bike miles! All good fun!
Have a good one!
:)

Powered By Blogger