Google analytics

Thursday 27 January 2011

Injury advice

SO the healing is going very well. I would like to share a couple of things that I think are vital to good recovery.
1. mental attitude. Hugely underestimated in its role in recovery. After 7 days and still in a lot of pain I spoke to a physio, and even after that 5 minute conversation I immediately felt 100% better as I knew I had been managing the injury in the correct way. Since then I remain very positive and upbeat, despite the fact I am not back to training. But I just tell myself, every day is one step nearer getting back out there and putting in the hard work. I am really looking forward to racing this year. That keeps me focussed, keeps me upbeat and will obviously help with the recovery.
2. The first 3 days. This is absolutely paramount that anyone with an injury treats it with RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. I was very strict in how I did it, and fortunately I was able to postpone some PT sessions and I stayed off it for those 3 days, iced as much as possible, raised the leg and strapped it as much as I could. After 48 hours I started ever so slightly to move the ankle, but I am talking millimetres! Just to get hings moving in the right direction, literally! I truly believe that if you get it right in the firt 48-72 hours then if you are fit and healthy(and sensible) recovery time will be reduced significantly. 2 weeks on and I am about a week away from light jogging. Normally, according to textbook cases, 4-6 weeks is the recovery period before any exercise can be resumed. I am fortunate that I do heal well, and recover quickly, but I am convinced that is mostly down to treating the injury well, and, above all staying positive.
I hope this advice is found to be useful for anyone who ever finds themselves in that position.
It's not always easy for us mere mortal amateur athletes to get the time to rest as much as we really need to, with full time jobs and families to run around after. But look after your bodies with as much time as can be spared and we will all come back stronger.
Roll on the 2011 season, I'm already feeling stronger and faster, gonna be a good year!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger