Google analytics

Sunday 22 February 2009

James Gilfillan on good form

James Gilfillan
Well, the weather was ideal for today's Winchester 10k, just a shame I wasn't in better shape! I lost 3 hours sleep to a very noisy 9 month year old!!!
So I went down with James Gilfillan and we warmed up. Well, he warmed up while I ran alongside gasping for air, working up a right sweat. Arrived at the start feeling ok, not in peak condition but reasonably fresh. Good turnout again for this popular race. Hilly-ish course, plenty to keep you working hard. I set off at a steady tempo, and kept everything controlled, well within myself as I haven't done any significant hard run training for nearly 5 weeks now. Went through 5k in 20 minutes and pushed on in the second 5k as it is mostly uphill. Finished strong in 40:05. James Gilfillan was third in 33:05, and had a good race, behind two very quick Winchester AC athletes, winning time of 31:40. I was down in about 60th position which was ok, up a little on the same race last year. But again, the position in these races is of little consequence for me and this one was a gauge of my run fitness levels, and I am pleased to be reporting back to my coach that I am good to get back to full on training.
Steve BirtwistleSo we'll hopefully be resuming the nasty interval sessions and hill reps! Oh what fun!! I'm off to find a half marathon to enter, probably Bournemouth Bay half, as I want to see what I can run over 13.1 miles.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger