Google analytics

Sunday 15 February 2009

What a difference a day makes

Well, I've been bombarded with bugs this year! And the latest was an attack of the tummy aliens last Wednesday! Not particuarly pleasant and passed soon enough, but left me with that nauseous feeling in the pit of my stomach and was right off my food, and that is most unlike me!!
However, at last got some decengt sleep last night and rose early for a solid breakfast of ready brek, toast and jam and a nice pot of fresh filter coffee. And headed out to Merley for the 100k Bournemouth Jubilee Reliability ride, the last one of their series. Was expecting a large turnout but there were only between 20 and 30 riders, most doing the 100k, only 2 set off on the 100 mile. Surprising as the weather has warmed up and it was a lot drier and the wind had also died a little.
So set off with a group of 20 and after 45k I decided to stop and take off my overshoes which had decided to rub against new Look Keo pedals. Most annoying as I was accompanied for an hour and a half of squeaking! Feet were cold but least I remained sane. Anyhow, I set off to rejoin the group and never did!! I missed a right turn and went 2 miles down the road, then checked my route and then doubled back, found the turn and carried on my quest to find the other riders. Noone had waited! Hmmm. Oh well, got back with 3 other riders ,one of whom had punctured and then they got lost!! I couldn't work out from the directions where I was supposed to be headed but saw a sign for Sturminster Newton and just carried on in that direction, and headed for home via Blandford, never got back to race HQ as it was out of my way and by this time I was out of juice and food. So after 4 and a half hours and the best part of 80 miles in my legs I got home. Was good to get out and get some miles in and try out the new bike. oh yes!!! Scott CR1 Pro, what a machine. Lovely bike and such a pleasure to ride, solid, very comfortable and quick. Seated climbs were a joy and easier on the legs and cornering nd downhills were very secure and i get the feeling that when really hammering it in a race situation this bike is going to respond. Very very please with it,and even when I was tiring in the last 5 miles, I didn't feel like I lost a lot of momentum and kept a reasonable pace with the minimum of effort. Excellent fun, I highly recommend anyone getting one!
http://scottusa.com/gb_en/category/2423/cr1
I've replaced the bars with Easton EZ70 CNT bars, lovely flat tops for great hand position, less pressure on the wrists. And have added a Specialized Toupe Gel saddle, very comfortable. Bought without wheels so I have my Fulcrum Racing 3s on there for general riding/training. For racing I'll have on my Easton carbon Tempest 2 wheels. This will get it's first outing in a race at Ballbuster duathlon, should help with those long climbs!!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger