Google analytics

Wednesday 11 April 2007

Wednesday Training

Sea swim today down at Swanage, water was lovely and flat and a nice cold temperature. After 5 minutes in the water, I acclimatised nicely and swam for about 25 minutes. That was enough for me. Took in some sun for a couple of hours on the beach and then headed home to change for a run.
Was out for 55 minutes at a good pace, roughly 7.5 miles. Good recovery.

I have just got hold of Skins compression wear, top and leggings and what a difference they make. I ran with the top and it kept me nice and cool, wicking sweat away. I have the leggings on afterwards as they are supposed to help with recovery, and I must admit, my legs feel very good with them on.

Cycling to work tomorrow and will cycle longer in the evening. Swim and run on Friday, long bike on Saturday, and a brick session on Sunday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did it feel strange swimming in the sea and are there any markers for guidance?

Are there any lifeguards about or do you take someone with you as a look out?

Is the cold water ok?

Steve Birtwistle said...

Nice to swim in the sea, love it. Fresh, exhilerating and no need to turn round, well not for a while anyway!
I use the shorline as a guide, when I'm breathing to the right and use the grooves in the sand to help keep me level. I don't go that far out. And my wife is on the beach for me to wave to if I get in any trouble.
Cold water is not a proble. Takes about 5 minutes just to float in it and for my wetsuit and body to adjust and then set off swimming. Once up and swimming, I don't really notice it, but it does feel good in the se and I do notice that I swim noticeably quicker. Due to the buoyancy of the suit keeping me higher in the water.

Anonymous said...

You say you use the shore line as a guide - does the tide ebb and flow affect the distance you are away from the edge or are you able to keep fairly even distance away from the shoreline by using the grooves in the sand and not find you have drifted further in or out.

Steve Birtwistle said...

Depends on the current and tide, but I tend to keep an even distance, it's only a rough guide. When racing, there will be other swimmers and the course is well marked out and plenty of landmarks to help sight off.
Grooves in the sand do help. The main thing is trying to keep my body straight in the water, whilst rotating and not drifting to one side.

Powered By Blogger