Google analytics

Saturday 13 January 2007

Saturday long bike

Here's the science!!
Distance 63km(39 miles)
Ride time 2 hrs 16 minutes and 56 seconds
Ave speed 27.6 km/hr (17 mph)
Max Speed 61.1 km/hr (38 mph)
Ave h/r 153 bpm
Max h/r 171 bpm
Ave cadence - 87
Max cadence 121

This was the same ride as I did just before Christmas, somewhere on this blog. Interesting to compare times and see where I am.
Well, this wind is not for letting up. Much the same as last Saturday, not quite the same amount of rain but the wind was stronger, and going out for the first 40 minutes was into a strong headwind, mostly undulating with an overall uphill theme! My feet got soaked despite an extra neoprene overshoe, a lot of surface water made bike handling on descents tricky and this did reduce my overall speed, plus back wheel was kicking out a little on me on roundabouts. But my feet were warm inspite of the wet, that's the beauty of neoprene.
I felt really strong today and finished with plenty in the tank. Good to end a workout like that. Filthy, wet and sweaty!! Great fun!
When I got back I did 20 minutes easy pedalling on turbo just to cool down and work out some of the lactic acid from my legs.
Nutrition - 1 SIS electrolyte gel, 2 power gels, taken every 30 minutes. 750 ml of SIS electrolyte energy drink and 1 litre of water. Got nutrition spot on today.

Climbing was strong today and was able to push a higher gear and really attack towards the end of the climbs. Last 12km was riding around 45 km/hr on the flat with a slight following crosswind. Felt a bit awkward and had to concentrate to balance well, but I was able to get some good speed going and once again I had more left. Legs getting stronger. Cardio in good shape. Rest day tomorrow, maybe a recovery jog of 3 or 4 miles, but only gentle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow that sounds great and you obviously enjoyed your ride - once the weather improves you'll be flying!

Steve Birtwistle said...

I certainly did and I certainly hope so!!!

DotNetSi said...

Nice, well done! Thats quite an inspiration for me to resume running again tommorow following my training yesterday.

I did a slow walk around Bournemouth and managed to introduce crazy dancing into my schedule.

Nutrition: Carling, Red Bull, Vodka, Sambuca, Burger, Chips. Uggg.

Steve Birtwistle said...

Si, I tell ya, sometimes a gentle walk/run around the pubs and clubs of anywhere feels like just the ticket!
Unfortunately it just doesn't agree with me at the moment, and it would set me back a good week if not more.

Powered By Blogger