Google analytics

Sunday 11 March 2007

Sunday leisurely bike ride

What a glorious day today, lovely sun and warm. However still a cold wind, died down a little from yesterday. Was out for 2 and a half hours. Mostly easy riding today, spinning, but felt really good. Met a young cyclist out who was asking me where to go for a good endurance ride. He then decided he was off to Weymouth, round trip of 60-70 miles. I thought about tagging along but I kept to my schedule and don't want to overdo it.
That said I know at the moment, I could easily ride 2-3 hours, 5 days a week, on top of my running and swimming. Bike fitness is excellent at the moment, legs feeling very strong, not at all tired after yesterday, which did surprise me a little as I hadn't run for 2 weeks. So all in all a successful weekend all round!
No stats from today's ride. I was reading a book about Lance Armstrong last night - Lance Armstrong's War. Excellent read, I highly recommend it, an insight into his preparation and riding of his 6th Tour de France victory. There was a section about Basque rider Iban Mayo, how he trained without any bike computer and heart rate monitor, so it inspired me just to go out and ride today. Nice to find a different approach and I actually found myself enjoying riding without looking at my bike computer every 5 minutes!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great training sessions for you over the weekend- and you sound really pleased and somewhat suprised how much you enjoyed the Sunday bike. I note that you feel you could do so much more but surely - as you have said - you've learnt from your 'time out' that rest and recovery days are just as good for you as the training days. All is now back on track for June?

Steve Birtwistle said...

Yes, I am really please with my fitness level, and I feel that after a good week of swimming and getting a couple of long runs under my belt it will get me right back on track for June.
Really looking forward to the 25th March, duathlon should give me a good test as to exactly where I am at.
At the moment, it's a bit like "Bring it on!!!"
All good stuff!
Apart from my cornering on the right-handers, still not taking the right line and a little apprehensive, but that will improve the more I'm out on the bike.

Powered By Blogger