Google analytics

Thursday 31 May 2007

Thursday lunchtime swim

40 minutes of solid swimming again. Back to full health and able to go hard today. Cycled into work this morning from Wimborne into a strong headwind, but went hard as feeling good on the bike. Took 24 minutes for about 8 miles, so pretty good going really. Very pleased with fitness levels and gaining confidence all the time now, with Half Ironman 17 days away!! Have been having dreams about it already, usually involving something going wrong in transition!!
Cycle home tonight and have a good rest. Easy run tomorrow and then a long bike ride on Saturday, possibly 90km loop I have done before, see what the weather does. Don't want to overdo it. This is my last hard weekend before I start tapering, taking it easy for 2 weeks. My only concern is that I have not done enough running, but I have been conscious of many coaches and training articles who say that athletes can do too much running and their performance will suffer as a result, so I'll see how I get on with that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good ride today - wonder if there is anywhere to 'go' on route. Maybe there will be bushes or trees.
If you are doing the Poole run with swim and bike before it - is it wise to do a long bike on Saturday -weather forecast not brilliant. It's hard to resist I suppose and I hope you get some really good nights sleep beforehand- I'm sure that there are many first timers feeling just the same as you are. I'll be watching your final run in and hoping for fair cool weather for the next two weeks. Keep strong.

Steve Birtwistle said...

Not hard to resist, just need a long ride in my legs, and I'm enjoying my bike riding at the moment, so good to get out while in a positive frame of mind.
Well, there'll be plenty of bushes and trees on the course, as it's set in the wilds of Exmoor, but I don't think that will be a problem! Depends on how much liquid I take on board. Need just enough to keep my hydrated, not too much that it bloats me and I need to wee!
But that's it after this weekend, I'm down to gentle swims, bikes and runs now. I will keep to mostly on the turbo for the bike as I'm paranoid about going out in bad weather and getting a cold or falling off!! I will certainly make sure I arrive at the start in the best possible shape.

Powered By Blogger